Sunday, January 18, 2009

Robert P. George on Killing Abortionists

Professor Robert P. Geroge of Princeton is a genius whose opinions on ethics and law are widely respected. When asked whether it is justifiable to use lethal force against those who perform abortions, he wrote this brief response. It is one of the most witty and brilliant pro-life arguments I have seen:

I am personally opposed to killing abortionists. However, inasmuch as my personal opposition to this practice is rooted in a sectarian (Catholic) religious belief in the sanctity of human life, I am unwilling to impose it on others who may, as a matter of conscience, take a different view. Of course, I am entirely in favor of policies aimed at removing the root causes of violence against abortionists. Indeed, I would go so far as to support mandatory one-week waiting periods, and even nonjudgmental counseling, for people who are contemplating the choice of killing an abortionist. I believe in policies that reduce the urgent need some people feel to kill abortionists while, at the same time, respecting the rights of conscience of my fellow citizens who believe that the killing of abortionists is sometimes a tragic necessity-not a good, but a lesser evil. In short, I am moderately pro-choice.


No comments: